Thursday 2 July 2009

Meet the Maker - Quercus Silver

For todays Meet the Maker, an old hand at Handm@de, well this is the third one! Please welcome Su, also known as Quercus Silver!



What got you into crafting?

From the moment I stepped into the jewellery workshop at my local college and started twisting metal I was in love with silversmithing. Along the way I became fascinated with using colour, too and began working with more unusual materials such as fabric, acrylics and a whole rainbow of resin. I like bold geometric shapes and blocks of colour framed in sterling silver. And the resin is so light I can make lovely chunky forms.

What is the best thing about making jewellery

I confess I always wanted to be a jeweller and it certainly doesn't feel like a proper job. I have a workshop in my garden here in Bath and it's full of bits and pieces, shells and pictures and my much loved tools. It's a real haven.



What Handm@de stuff do you have your eye on?

I'm looking forward to the handm@de sale. I've been at all of them so far and they have a very special friendly atmosphere.. You can't beat a room full of like-minded people sharing their craft and their knowledge and I shall certainly be shopping, too.

A couple of sellers I've spotted who are new to me including Carole King, I collect prints so I shall be heading for her stall and who could resist Nonsuch and Meninafeliz's gorgeous little frame purses?



Thanks Su, I think the one thing I have discovered through Handm@de is the huge range, and how you think that jewellery is just one thing, when it actually is huge!! Another one tomorrow!!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the namecheck Su- looking forward to meeting you and seeing your work on Sunday
    carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not so much of the "old" hand, you whippersnapper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the shout out, Su! x

    Can't wait to see your gorgeous work :D

    ReplyDelete