Wednesday 29 April 2009

Meet the Maker - Funky Mutts

and now for something completely different!

I would like to introduce you to Helen Moorcroft, better known as Funky Mutts!!



What got you into crafting?

Strangely I am from a family of keen crafters but I was never very interested when I was younger, I was always much more into cookery.
I really had a daydream about 4 years ago of creating lovely pet accessories and matching pet accessories as I am a big animal lover. I harboured my dream for a few years with my sensible side saying it was a silly idea until a close friend of mine gave me her support and encouragement and told me to give it a try.
Thanks to my brilliant family and their skills they taught me how to make the collars, leads and human accessories and whenever I have an idea I work with my mum to come up with the prototype to see how well it works and the best way to make it.
I use mainly Liberty of London and ethical fabrics which are designed by my friend Annegret Affolderbach of CHOOLIPS Lifestyle management and hand printed by Women in Progress in Ghana. I have a new range of collars coming out for the Winchester fair using Amy Butler fabrics as well which I am really excited about.



What is the best thing about making items for Funky Mutts?

I have to say Funky Mutts is my dream job I love everything about it I love trying new fabrics and I really love the finishing touches when I have made them hand sewing in the Funky Mutts label. The best things of all though is getting the photo's through from customers of there dogs wearing there collars it is lovely to see them in action!

What Handm@de stuff do you have your eye on?

Of course I love anything to do with dogs and think that 23 Beech Hill have a fantastic idea I love their stuff. Everything is amazing and such talented people I am really looking forwarding to meeting everyone and having a good look round at Winchester I better bring a large float as I will probably end up buying loads!



Thanks very much Helen for taking some time out to talk about Funky Mutts, it is great to be able to have someone at Handm@de Winchester with such a different range.

The next Meet the Maker will appear on Saturday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment