Sunday 21 June 2009

Meet the Maker - Corryvreckan

It's official Handm@de Winchester is full and raring to go! The last tables have been paid for, the postcards are out and about, so Hi if you have picked one up and found yourself here!

Still have some Meet the Makers to fit in before the big day, so please find out about Rachel Simpson, better know as Corryvreckan!



What got you into crafting?

I have always done some sort of craft, my mum taught me sewing and knitting but I preferred spending time hammering stuff at my dad's workbench. I always loved crafts at school and had a progressive junior school where if you worked hard and completed all tasks early you could go and spend the rest of the day in the pottery corner with the clay! I started a jewellery course at Whitehouse Arts in Cambridge about 5 years ago after wanting something a bit more long term as a hobby than the watercolour work I had been doing. With great tutors and facilities it all snowballed from there and I haven't looked back since. There's just so much to learn with metalworking that I think I've found my lifetime hobby. For example, I've recently taught myself pearl stringing and that's led on to me working on designs for new silver clasp endings for strung pearls as I'm not keen on the commercially available ones.



What is the best thing about making jewellery?

My work is heavily inspired by the seaside and I enjoy developing a design based on memories of the Norfolk coast. I remember textures and movement of light from spending along time living, walking and cycling around there. I work hard trying to recreate image into precious metals and then into a final piece. I make pieces that I like but the bonus pleasure is when someone also loves your work and gets pleasure from wearing it.

What Handm@de stuff do you have your eye on?

Quercus Silver, particularly the hewn bracelets. Also Hodge Podge Arts, her work is so diverse and creative. I have a large mouse button from Handmade Cambridge that will be sewn onto a cardigan my sister knitted for me.



Thanks Rachel, so much lovely stuff, and so much more to see at the Guildhall on 5th July!

Watch out for those postcards and posters in you live or work in Winchester, another Meet the Maker this week : )

No comments:

Post a Comment